Legion Music Festival, the fan-funded festival brainchild of Devil You Know drummer John Sankey – created in response to Soundwave’s catastrophic demise – has been postponed until 2017.
Those that have already contributed to the Pozible crowd-funding campaign received a no-longer-secretive update today, which has been leaked to the media despite no official word due until tomorrow.
The update reads:
“Updates 3 – CONFIDENTIAL – Legion Music Fest changes
posted on 18 January 2016
There have been some big developments here at Legion HQ over the last few days and we wanted to fill you in first.
Please note that this information won’t be released to the public til tomorrow so please keep it confidential.
We’ve noticed that the number one piece of feedback we’ve had from both the fans and the artists is about the timing of the festival. Here’s what we’ve been told:
– It’s hard for the bands (particularly large, international bands) to commit in such a short amount of time
– A lot of fans have family commitments that they can’t get around over the Easter long weekend
– Travel for people coming in from interstate is really expensive over Easter
– People that have forked out money for Soundwave tickets (and haven’t got their refund yet) as well as the other costs involved that they can’t recoup, are having a hard time getting the money together to attend another festival in March
Based on all of this feedback we’ve have a heap of discussions both internally, with the bands and with our fan council, and have come to the conclusion that our best bet is to move the festival dates to JANUARY 2017 to coincide with and around the Australia Day Long weekend. While we would’ve liked to have moved it til later this year, the European touring circuit would mean that we would not be able to attract many, if any, headline acts.
This date change gives us the opportunity with a few MAJOR international headliners as well as some additional diversity in the lineup that we hope to be able to announce really soon.
In addition to moving the dates, we’re going to create a brand new Pozible crowd funding campaign that will give us an extra 30 days to announce headliners, the remainder of the lineup and also give us more time to really smash our target.
Your pledges will be automatically transferred across to the new campaign, HOWEVER, given that we’re moving the goal posts on you guys we totally understand if you would rather opt out.
If you DO decide to stay on this ride with us, we really want to reward you for being with us from the very beginning.
Everything will be transferred over to the new campaign at 5pm this evening so anyone who has pledged by that time will receive the following benefits:
– Anyone that has pledged at the $95 or $125 pledge options will receive all of the additional benefits that come with the $225 option for free
– Anyone that has pledged at the $225 pledge option will receive a free VIP afterparty in addition to the benefits that they’re already receiving.
Other than the dates, nothing else is changing.
The event will still include 3 major east coast open air shows plus, as planned, two mini-festival club shows in Perth and Adelaide.
JAN 21 – PERTH
JAN 22 – ADELAIDE
JAN 26 – MELBOURNE
JAN 28 – SYDNEY
JAN 29 – BRISBANE
Legion Festival Line-Up
Front Line Assembly (CANADA)
Aversions Crown (AUS)
Devil You Know (USA)
Darkest Hour (USA)
Caligula’s Horse (AUS)
Rick Dangerous And The Silkie Bantams (AUS)
Dream on Dreamer (AUS)
28 Days (AUS)
My Secret Circus (AUS) *Mel only
Horrorwood Mannequins (AUS) *Syd only
MofoIsDead (AUS) *Bris only
Saturday, 26th March 2016
Melbourne Showgrounds, Melbourne
Sunday, 27th March 2016
Venue TBA, Sydney
Monday, 28th March 2016
Venue TBA, Brisbane
Friday, 1st April 2016
Venue TBA, Adelaide (Club mini-festival)
Saturday, 2nd April 2016
Venue TBA, Perth (Club mini-festival)
We’ll keep you updated as news comes to hand.