Indecent Assault Charge Against Dan Sultan Dropped

VICTORIAN prosecutors have withdrawn an indecent assault charge against ARIA-Award winning artist Dan Sultan.

Sultan stood accused of assaulting somebody at a party in the Melbourne suburb of Brunswick in September of 2008, according to the ABC.

The single assault charge, made by the Fawkner Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team at the start of this year, were dropped after a short online session of the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court early Thursday.

The Age reported that prosecutor Stephen Payne was waiting on a document which arrived mid-hearing, and, “On the basis of that, the application is to withdraw the charge.”

It’s not clear what the document was or what it contained.
His barrister had previously indicated they intended to plead not guilty to all charges.

The allegations forced Sultan to cancel three festival appearances he had lined up pre-COVID, including Perth Festival.
“His management said he would allow the legal process to take its course before making any further comment,” the festival told media at the time.

Sultan won the ARIA for Best Children’s Album last year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s